
Okay, my view on John McCain's speech last night.
1) Obviously not as exciting as Palin's the night before. It was hard for him to live up to that so this came across as more dry and dull. However, it was a good speech. Not great, but good.
2) Obama was criticized by the media last week for spending too much time shooting barbs at McCain and for not outlining his plans (just gave general ideas). They said McCain had to list his plans. So that's what McCain did, and yet he gets criticized for too dry of a speech. Just shows you can't win over the media.
3) I thought McCain did a good job of not insulting Obama too much. I think he only had two or three jabs at him. When he mentioned Obama it was usually too compare their views on the issues. No need to take jabs since that was what Wednesday was for (and how fun it was!).
4) McCain gave a dull speech, however, that's what he needed to do. He needed to outline what he'll do, his views on issues and explain to people why he wants to be president.
5) He didn't give specifics on his plans and issues, but a convention speech is not when you do that. You want a rousing speech and to fire up your supporters. Save the specifics for when on the stump and on your website. Same for Obama, can't really rip him for that (although with Obama he never seems to give specifics on anything).
I think it was a sucessful convention for the Republicans. Started off bad with the hurricane, but Palin brought the house down and then McCain showed he's presidential and explained why. We'll see where the polls go from here, but it looks like it will be a close race to the finish. I still think Obama wins, but it won't be a run away victory.
Also, the ratings are in and it looks like McCain beat Obama in the ratings. Let's hope the same thing happens in November.
1 comment:
I really think that McCain has a shot, now. I am on record for saying, or at least I am now, I always thought McCain was the right man to be President. The main reason is that no other Presidential candidate had/has a chance at diminishing the partisanship in this country. With the Palin pick, he added everything that he needed to; energy, something for the Republican base to like, and someone from outside of Washington! McCain/Palin are going to Washington!
Post a Comment