Friday, September 05, 2008

More on Palin

All right, now that my buzz has worn off from Gov. Palin's speech the other night, here's my view on what's going on.

It cracks me up about how the media has raised the thought that Hillary voters will vote for Palin. I don't think the McCain campaign intended for all pissed off Hillary voters to vote for Palin. Obviously there is a big difference between the two, huge. I think they were aiming more for the independent women who were voting for Hillary just because she's a woman (as bad as a reason that is to vote for someone, it's true that people will do that; just as it's true that people would vote for Obama because he's black or vote for a white candidate because he's white, etc. Stupid reason to vote, but lots of people do it). I think the McCain campaign was hoping to get the pro-women vote on board. And I think it is a good strategy for independent voters. They sway between parties and someone like Palin could tip it for them.

McCain had to do something big to win this election. Picking Pawlenty or Romney wasn't going to swing independents his way and picking Lieberman or Ridge was going to tick off conservatives and they might have stayed home. He had to make a "WOW" pick and he did that and definitely juiced up his campaign. He has made conservatives more than happy (thrilled, excited, upbeat, etc. - at least that's how I've been since she got nominated), he's got moderate Republicans on board (they were already with him) and he's peaked the interest of independents. That was the only way he was going to win this election. Will it be enough? Probably not. The country is more liberal than conservative right now and will probably try out Obama rather than what some consider a third Bush term.

And that's fine, I pretty much came to the conclusion a year ago that Democrats would win. I obviously won't be happy about it and I want McCain/Palin to win more than anything, but I'm at least happy to see the Republican party has some good future candidates in Palin, Pawlenty, Jindal and Thune from SD. A few weeks ago the party was in the dumps, now we're fired up again and it's because we have someone to be excited about in Palin. I don't expect Dems to like her, why would they. But it's exciting for us just as it was exciting for Dems when Obama gave his speech in 2004 at the convention.

I'm a political junkie/nerd whatever you want to call me so I guess I pay attention to these "outsider" candidates and governors more than I should, but I've seen her give speeches before, seen her debate and I've really liked what I've seen. I truly believe she's a good person and represents what I believe in. She's not evil and it really bugs me to hear people demonize her for nothing. My secretary pissed be off beyond belief the other day when she was telling me that she thinks it's not her baby and that she's a bad mom and all this crap. You really have to think someone is evil to do that kind of stuff. There's all those rumors about Hillary and I don't believe 99% of them. Stuff about her having that Foster guy killed, etc. Come on, why would that happen??????

I think all politicians have done things that will come back to haunt them. I guess I don't read much into how Palin fired people because most people who take something over will fire the people and bring in their own staff. Obama will fire everyone once he takes over, Bush fired people when he took over. That's what politicians do, they put their own people in positions so they can carry out their plans - isn't that what politics is all about????

The money stuff - I guess what matters to me is what she's done since Governor and since then she has cut budgets and given money back to people and what not. Mayor of the town - I guess I'd like to know more about what the town was like before she took over. If the town was sitting there with no development for years and was a dump and needed to be reinvigorated, then I'm all for putting some money into it to get things going. But if it was just wasteful spending, then that wouldn't be good.

Palin did have a 90% approval rating (I think 80% now?) so she must be doing some things right.

Here's a link to a "Tale of the Tape" between Obama and Palin. I think this is a conservative leaning website (not positive though, never been to it before) so take it for what's it's worth. But most of it is fact. I will post something for Democrats later so you'll be treated equally!!!

3 comments:

Julio Jorge Lopez Najera said...

equality is overrated

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYNfJ9SabFU

Cub Fan, Bud Man said...

Jon Stewart, now there's a fair and balanced news source. His audience is split right down the middle isn't it.
Not worth my time to pay attention to anything he says.