
I'm really starting to get scared at this groundswell of support for Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee. He's a good guy and all, but he would get crushed in the presidential contest against Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.
But since he's a social conservative he is rising in the polls. He now leads in Iowa, South Carolina and Florida.
You would think I'd be in favor of a social conservative. Wrong. He's not conservative on financial matters and in fact raised taxes more than most Democrats when he was governor of Arkansas. Another reason I don't like him is his lack of foreign policy experience.
My hope is that his current popularity begins to wear off by primary time and Rudy goes back to the top. I guess I could handle Romney winning as well (even though I don't think he can win in November either), but I'd prefer Rudy.
A wild card candidate? John McCain. Yes he's pissed off Republicans. But if Republicans don't want Rudy it might be time to turn to the candidate who is conservative on both social and fiscal issues and who is tough on foreign policy. And he could probably beat the Democrats.
Right now my list of favorites goes:
1) Rudy
2) McCain
3) Romney
4) Thompson
5) Huckabee
By the way, Democrats love this support for Huckabee. Why? Because they know he would get crushed in the general election. Huckabee is equivalent to Howard Dean in 2004. The Republicans wanted Dean to get the nomination because they knew he had no shot of beating Bush. Once the Democrats came to their senses they went with the old standby John Kerry, even though they didn't really like him. Why did they go with him? He had the best shot out of all the Democrat candidates at winning.
The same thing will happen with Republicans. Once they realize that Huckabee has no shot at winning they will have to turn to either Rudy, Romney or McCain. But they better hurry up and decide as primaries start the first week in January.
No comments:
Post a Comment