Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Debate Team

Last night the Republicans held a debate on CNN. Here's a look at the winners and losers from the debate according to this watcher.

I would rank them like this based on everyone's performance up till now (not just debates, just in general):

1) Fred Thompson - He's not even officially in the race yet, but he's getting a ton of press and conservatives like him - a lot! If he gives a credible performance right after his presidential announcement he will be the front runner. If he comes out and doesn't seem like he knows what's going on, it's Rudy's to lose. The problem right now for him is that he hasn't said anything yet, everyone is just basing their opinion off of LA Law!

2) Rudy Giuliani - I still think Rudy will get the nomination once everything is said and done. He's the strongest candidate on most issues and his only fight with the right comes on abortion and somewhat on immigration. But his stance on terrorism and his shot at the bias in the media last night make him very appealing.

3) John McCain - As the primaries near I would expect lots of voters to head back to McCain after flirting with the other candidates. He's a known commodity and he has a ton of experience and he may have the best chance of beating Hillary (or whatever candidate the Democrats put up). McCain can get the independant vote and the blessing of the media and this will be a huge advantage for him. But it will still come down to the conservatives of the party if they have to choose between Giuliani and McCain.

4) Mitt Romney - He definitely has the conservative credentials, he's the best speaker and he looks the most presidential. But the last thing might be his biggest problem, he comes off as almost too "politician looking." He may be too slick for some people and even though it shouldn't be an issue, his Mormon religion will keep some people from voting for him (stupid reason, but there are a lot of stupid people in this country). He might win Iowa but I don't see him going far after that.

5) Mike Huckabee - Huckabee would be a great candidate if the Republicans didn't have the star power of Rudy, McCain and Thompson in this race. He is conservative, he knows the issues, he has strong values and faith and he comes across as a "compassionate conservative." The problem is that the main candidates are much louder, more known and more exciting. Huckabee would be a great VP candidate though, he could get the southern votes. I really like Huckabee, but it's hard to get behind a candidate when you know they don't have a realistic shot at winning.

6) Sam Brownback - Not sure what happened to his campaign. He'd probably be better off getting out of the campaign now and becoming more powerful in the Senate and running for reelection there. He has good ideas but he just doesn't seem like a president.

7) Duncan Hunter - I really like Duncan Hunter - very strong conservative. But he needs to quit attacking the other Republican candidates. We want to see you beat Hillary, not McCain. Might be a good VP candidate as well.

8) Tommy Thompson - Tommy, Tommy. You're from Wisconsin and were a great Governor there, but your campaign skills are nothing to brag about. When asked a question in the debates you give the most rehearsed answers of anyone and you always look like a deer in the headlights. Unless the question is in regards to health care (he served as W.'s HHS Secretary), then you are able to give a powerful performance. Another guy that probably would be better as a VP.

9) Ron Paul - I don't like his ideas on the war in Iraq at all, but he is a good debater and gets his points across. Better staying in the House though.

10) Tom Tancredo - I love his ideas on immigration but he's not presidential material. Needs to stay in the House and fight the immigration bill.

11) Jim Gilmore - Why is he in the campaign? He's not getting his name out there and hasn't done anything special in the debates. Probably hunting for a VP spot.

2 comments:

Julio Jorge Lopez Najera said...

I don't like Rudy. It's partly on abortion, partly on his social past, but a lot on the skeletons. As someone I talk to regularly pointed out, you don't clean up New York without the support of some questionable people. The Dems in New York are probably hoping he wins the nomination, and waiting until then to pull out the dirt. I want to see Fred in a debate, I like Romney, but McCain gets my vote until Fred speaks and shows the true conservatism, for which he is touted.

Cub Fan, Bud Man said...

I agree, there is a lot of dirt on Rudy. But if it will take Rudy to beat Hillary than I'm behind him. I still think Thompson or McCain will get the nomination though.

This might be like the Democrats in 2004. They flirted with Dean and Edwards but in the end they went with Kerry, even though he wasn't that popular, because they thought he had the best chance of beating Bush.
Same thing will probably happen with McCain - he's not popular but he has the best chance of winning.