The other day on a national sports radio show they were discussing what the top 5 sport days of the year are. The criteria was that the days were when everyone, not just the die-hard sports fans, pay attention to the event.
Most of the hosts had the usual days - Super Bowl, NCAA Tournament, etc. - but a couple always have to be "different" and pick a day that makes no sense. One guy said that the NFL Wild Card weekend was in the top 5. Huh? Is that a day when everyone gathers around the TV to watch together or makes sure they are home to watch sports or when the casual fan pays attention??
Another guy suggested opening day of the Big East basketball tournament??? Really??? I don't even know what day that starts. What an East coast homer!
Anyway, here is my top 5. Let me know what yours is.
1. Super Bowl - Everyone pays attention regardless if you're a sports fan or not. It is pretty much a national holiday, they should move it to Saturday.
2. Major League Baseball Opening Day - I think most people feel like this is the start of spring and it definitely brings back childhood memories on this day. Baseball is still America's pastime and out of the 4 major sports I really think it's the only opening day that is memorable. NFL opening day is big, but it's also spread out now with a Thursday game, Saturday game, Sunday games and Monday game. Baseball opens up with every team playing, most in the daytime!
3. NCAA Basketball Tournament (Thursday and Friday) - I would group these two days into one. Almost everyone is paying attention because of office pools, pools with friends, etc. Even if you know nothing about basketball, you've probably been approached to fill out a pool. And it's always fun to follow the games from work or take off a little early to catch the late games.
4. College Football (New Year's Day) - This day has dropped in recent years because they've started spreading the games out so much, but in the past there was non-stop games on all day culminating with the big games at night. It's still a great way to rest up after a New Year's party with football all day.
5. Daytona 500 - What? I hate auto racing. But in actuality, I'm in the minority now a days. This sport is huge and a lot of non-fans tune in for this race. I should know, somehow I've been at two get-togethers on this day and got stuck watching the race! I still don't like it, but it's a big deal.
Other events that could be considered:
NFL opening day - Probably #6 on my list
Olympics Opening Day - Summer or winter, people tune in that first weekend to see what's going on. This has dropped the past few years because of time delays in the coverage and people knowing the results, but if the event is held in a timezone where it can be covered live then people tune in.
World Cup Soccer Final - Not that close to the top 5, but it's getting there. I knew more people this year that were in to the tournament than in the past.
Any other things I'm missing??
Andrew Nardi To Undergo Elbow Surgery
6 hours ago
2 comments:
Here's my top 5
1. Superbowl: it's an event for football fan and non-fan alike
2. New Year's Day Bowl games: I love the 'I can sit on the couch and veg' factor from 10am to 11pm
3. Opening weekend of Men's College Basketball Tourney - see 2.
4. Opening of the College World Series - Games all day and wall-to-wall tailgating ALL DAY
5. Daytona 500 - I've given in to the dark side on this one. I've become a fan of the left-turn circuit. Must be the fact that I'm living in that part of the country. I used to call it a waste of gas but since Toyota is in the game I've become interested.
World cup final - maybe if you're a socialist euro or a ex HS soccer hack.
Olympic opening ceremonies - I tune in to watch the Philippines do their lap and shut it off.
Where's the NBA all-star game?
I like tuning into the NBA All-Star game to see how many athletes have been arrested!
Although when I was a kid I was a big fan of the NBA All-Star weekend. I always got pumped up for the dunk and 3-point contest.
Post a Comment